Dentists are medical professionals who are here to support you to keep your teeth healthy.

How to find a dentist

You can find your local dentist on the NHS website.

Not all dentists have space to see anymore NHS patients. If your local dentist doesn't have space to see you, you can find other dentists using the link above.

If you cannot find an NHS dentist, you can call NHS England's Contact Centre for support to find a dentist: 0300 311 2233

Your local Healthwatch may also be able to help you to find a local dentist. 

Do you need to pay to see the dentist?

The NHS gives you discounted dentist care. This means you will need to pay depending on the treatment you need.

There are three different tiers of payment depending on what treatment you need. Take a look at the NHS website to find out how much different tiers of treatment cost.

A standard dentist appointment currently costs £25.80 as an NHS patient.

Some people can get free treatment from an NHS dentist. Please find more information below.

Who can get free treatment from the dentist?

You do not have to pay for an NHS dentist if you are:

  • Under 18 or under 19 in full-time education
  • Pregnant or had a baby in the last 12 months
  • Being treated in an NHS hospital and your treatment is carried out by the hospital dentist (but you may have to pay for any dentures or bridges)
  • Receiving low income benefits (or you're under 20 and a dependent of someone receiving low income benefits)

You are also entitled to free treatment if you or your spouse or civil partner receive:

To prove you can get free NHS treatment, you will need:

  • a valid NHS tax credit exemption certificate
  • a valid HC2 certificate (for people with low income) - apply for your certificate here
  • a valid maternity exemption certificate

Dentists for people with disabilities

Depending on your disability, your local dentist may be able to treat you.

If required, your dentist will refer you onto a specialist service. These services often take place in Community Dental Services. These services can take place in many places around the community and can include visits to nursing and care homes, or home visits. 

You can ask your healthcare or social services professional for a referral to this service (Kent CHFT Special Dental Care Service).

If you are unable to leave your home, you can self-refer or ask a professional to refer you to the Dental Domiciliary Service

Please call 03301239438 for more information about this service.

How can I see a dentist out of hours or in an emergency?

If you have severe pain, bleeding or injuries to the face, mouth or teeth, go to A&E.

Otherwise, in an emergency, call your dentist if they are open. If you don't have a dentist, call NHS 111.

If it's out of hours, you can call your dentist as they may have a message on their voicemail of where to go for out of hours help.

If in doubt, call NHS 111.

Emergency treatment is £25.80 for those who pay for their NHS dental care.

Children's Dentist Appointments

Dentist appointments are free for under 18s and you don't need to register with a dentist to get an appointment.

You should try to book your child in for a dentist appointment once a year.

Please be aware that it may be hard to get a dentist appointment at the moment as there may be a waiting list. 

If a child needs urgent help with their teeth, please contact NHS 111.

Kent CHFT Paediatric Special Dental Care Service provides dental care for children in North East London who would not be able to access or accept care from high street dentists. This is a referral only service, so please ask your school, healthcare or social services professional for a referral. 

To find out more, please visit the Family Information Service.