What is a carer?
A carer is someone who helps another person, usually a family member or a friend, in their day-to-day life without being paid.
This could be because the person is struggling with an illness, disability, mental health issues or problems with alcohol or drugs.
Caring for someone can be challenging and stressful. It’s important that you look after your wellbeing as a carer and to know who you can go to for support when you need help.
The Newham Carers Community offers lots of support, including:
- A carers support group
- Digital support sessions to help carers with using computers and the internet.
- Young Carers' support and activities, e.g. arts, crafts, sports and maths tuition.
- Carers information and support
- Line dancing
- Men's group and ladies' group
- Drop-in sessions
As part of the Newham Carers Community, you can have access to over 130 social care courses. Take a look at Grey Matter Learning here.
Visit the Newham Council website for more information
Find out about the Carers Strategy, young carers and more
Sign up to be a carer friendly Newham organisation
Why should we sign up?
By joining the programme your organisation is making a formal and public commitment to improving the lives of the Carers you support or who work for you.
Becoming a Carer Friendly Newham organisation will:
- Ensure that you and your staff/representatives receive up to date and engaging information on how you can effectively support Newham Carers and are engaged in local events such as the annual Newham Carers Festival;
- Enable you to promote yourselves as a ‘Carer Friendly Newham’ organisation (you will receive a ‘Carer Friendly Newham’ kite mark / logo and a window cling on sticker if your organisation has an in-borough, resident facing building);
- Be promoted as a ‘Carer Friendly Newham’ organisation on our Council / Well Newham website.
- Receive regular updates on progress with the delivery of the Carers Strategy in Newham and have the opportunity to become partners in its delivery.
Other carers support groups in Newham
There are many support groups run by carers for carers. Find the right group for you below:
Carers Wellbeing Matters
This project aims to support the wellbeing of unpaid carers through online and in person workshops.
Newham Carers Peer-Counselling Network
Peer Counselling support for Carers in Newham. Carers learning the fundamentals of peer counselling.
Developing counselling skills whilst giving and gaining support through shared experiences.
Carers peer support for disabled parent of disabled children
Residents United Forum gives emotional and psychological support for the double barriers disabled parent of disabled children faced.