Help with housing

Newham Council has many different Housing services you can access to support you to find the right home for you, to help with repairs and to give you advice and support.

Newham Council Housing Hubs

Newham’s Housing Hubs are one stop shops where you can get advice and guidance from the Council about your housing queries if you:

  • are a council tenant or leaseholder 
  • or must have active bidding number or living in private rented accommodation in Newham

Please click here to find out more and to self-refer yourself to the Canning Town Housing Hub and here for the Stratford Housing Hub.

These hubs offer a one-stop-shop so residents can discuss queries with staff face to face and try to resolve any issues they are experiencing in person. 

Services present at our hubs include 

  • Housing Liaison
  • Lettings
  • Income Collection/Rents, Repairs and Maintenance
  • Temporary Accommodation
  • Neighbourhood Response
  • Resident Involvement 
  • Private Sector Housing

Although our Housing Needs and Supply Teams (Lettings, Temporary Accommodation and Private Sector Housing) operate on an appointment only basis, you do not require an appointment to meet with other services. However, an appointment will be booked if staff are unavailable when you arrive, and you have the option to book an appointment if you would like to guarantee a specific date/time.

Self refer yourself to the Housing Hubs using the links below:

Canning Town Housing Hub

Stratford Housing Hub

Emergency Support

Red phone

If you need emergency help and you have children, please call the MASH on 020 3373 4600 during office hours (Mon-Thu, 9am-5.15pm or Fri 9am-5pm) 020 8430 2000 at any other time.

If you are pregnant and need immediate help or you’re clinically or physically vulnerable, please contact Adult Social Care.

Worried about losing your home?

Newham Council’s Homelessness Prevention Service (HPAS) is here for you if you are worried about losing your home.

Damp and Mould

If you live in council housing get advice and support from Newham Council’s Damp and Mould Taskforce: 

If you are experiencing damp and mould in a rental property please talk to your landlord first and if no response contact:

Pest Control

If you have a problem with pests (e.g. rats, mice) call to arrange for a Pest Control Officer to come and help resolve the problem call: 020 8430 4133 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm)

Support for Newham council housing tenants is free and landlords have duties under licensing to deal with pest infestations. The removal of rats is free for all in Newham but charges apply for other pests.

Repairs and Improvements


If you live in council housing and you have an emergency repair (for example dangerous electrical faults, heating failures impacting on health, water leaks) call 0800 952 5555.

If you live in a housing association property contact your landlord first and if not resolved, then contact the Private Sector Housing Standards team at

If you are privately renting, please read our tenant’s pack and report any problems to your landlord.

Report environmental issues on the Love Newham app

Love Newham app logo. A heart outlined in turquoise and pink,

Use the free Love Newham app to report environmental issues like overgrown bushes and trees, fly-tipping, graffiti, litter and dog fouling.

Help with energy bills

Lightbulb on a blue and yellow background

There are many services in Newham that can support you if you need help with energy bills.

Free loft insulation

A birds eye view of a blocks of houses in London

Free loft insulation available through the Connected for Warmth scheme, all properties in council tax band A-D are eligible to apply:.


Person filling out a paper form

Find out which organisations can support residents with form filling and making applications, e.g. for housing benefit applications.

Stonewall Housing

Stonewall Housing logo

Specialist LGBTQ+ free and confidential housing advice.

Helpline: 08006404404

Mary Ward Legal Centre Housing Advice

Mary Ward Legal Centre logo

We provide advice and representation on a range of housing issues.
020 7831 7079

Worried about housing?

Person holding a fabric heart

We know that it can be stressful worrying about housing. There are lots of support services in Newham here to support you with stress and worry about housing.

Live independently at Noele Gordon House

A building with people in front of it.

A supportive community of 75 Council homes for over 55s in the heart of East Ham.

If you are a Newham Council tenant this is a great opportunity to downsize. You will have first priority for a brand-new home, at a rent no higher than your current rent.

For more information contact us on 020 3373 7403 or 079 7758 0469